Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Post #10 Corrections

Only 10 posts and already corrections are necessary.

This correction comes about from a thread I started on the JREF forums. I asked people's opinions regarding the Esoteric blog and the arguments I have had with the author in posts 5, 5.1 and 5.2. Someone posted a reply in the thread quoting from his site, "Skeptics often refer to what they call Occam's Razor. They interpret this as ‘Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof’."

This is incorrect. He probably got this definition from me in post #2. In my defence, I think I heard it on the Skeptics Guide podcast. The link I provided in post #2 points to an article on skepdic.com, which makes no reference to extraordinary evidence. It is lazy on both our parts. Perhaps if he's going to argue against a specific term he should check the definitions and explanations from a variety of sources.

The principle of Occam's Razor (or Ockham), according to wikipedia, "states that the explanation of any phenonemon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating, or "shaving off", those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory."

Or simply, "all things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one."

I know that Wikipedia is the work of the devil but all the external links, references and sources are right there at the bottom of the page.

So, shame on me for not reading articles related to what I'm writing about. My bad.

No comments: