Thursday, January 18, 2007

Post #4 Sunday at the Spiritual Church

The room was seated with around 30 people all anxiously waiting to see who the clairvoyant would speak to next. I watched as he made hits when he started out vague and, based on the victim’s responses, was able to hone in on more accurate descriptions of old dead people. When he started out too specific with his descriptions he would backtrack to cover the miss. In one instance, he described a dead person’s exact build and bizarre hairstyle. He eventually conceded that they might have been known 20 – 30 years ago.

Then he came and spoke to me. As a guest of my mother, I was in no position to express my true feelings. I also knew that if he came up with something profound I would have to admit defeat. That is something incredibly difficult to do. People rarely change their point of view and instead, usually unconsciously, only seek to reinforce it. For example, I don’t read much Raelian Apologist literature.

Admittedly, my heart was racing and I was very nervous. I had never had anyone who professes such abilities tell me about things that I don’t believe exist. It is difficult to remember the entire conversation but the gist of it was that he made two hits about me.

He told me he was contacting on older woman on my grandmother’s side. I immediately assumed it was my great-grandmother who died when I was 15 since I never knew my other grandmother. He went on to make a series of broad statements, only to receive maybes and nods.

He stopped and thought for a second. Then he looked at me and said “fingerless gloves”. I immediately said no, unable to place it with my great-grandmother. My mother leaned in and said that she used to make them for me when I was a child. This was certainly striking but I wasn’t going to become a believer just yet. There would be a post analysis.

After taking this as confirmation, he turned the gloves into a metaphor, saying I needed to open up my hands, that I have an emotional blockage and if I give a little I will receive in return. Given half a second, my girlfriend will attest to the fact that I am not good at communicating emotions, thus giving him his second hit.

1 comment:

Phil Braham said...

I found your blog interesting, partly because I'm from Melbourne as well. If you are interested in a totally opposite view to yours, you may care to look at my blog: http://www.braham.net/Phil/Blogs/Esoteric_New/Esoteric.html.